KNOW THE FACTS
While we are told repeatedly that black mold is to be feared (which it should be), it is quite unusual among household molds. Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, requires constant moisture to survive. Black mold itself isn’t toxic, but produces mycotoxins which are what make it so dangerous. You shouldn’t worry too much about black mold unless you have a major leak, which should be your first concern. With that in mind, you need to get rid of mold if you can see it. There is really no acceptable amount of mold, and even tiny amounts can cause allergic reactions. Get it taken care of, ASAP!
PREVENT + REMOVE MOLD
The best way to prevent mold is to not allow it to get the moisture it needs. Make sure any spots in your house that regularly see moisture (like your shower) are dry and ventilated when not being used. Keep drains unclogged and keep bleach on hand to mix with water to treat any mold that may start to grow. If you find mold on soft or porous items, like furniture or carpet, it is best to get rid of the affected portion before it has the opportunity to spread. If you have flood-related mold, it is time to call in the professionals.